Thursday, July 12, 2018

Paying Off Mortgage Early versus Investing

"To pay off my mortgage or invest the savings" - this is the question I have been internally debating a lot as of late. The only debt i have right now is the mortgage for my apartment. Technical details:

AttributeValue
Principal Remaining70 000 €
Term28 years
Monthly Payment300€
Interest Rate1.85% + EURIBOR (0%)

If we do a quick calculation the total repayment comes close to 101 000 €.

My thoughts for now go towards letting it tick as the payments are around 15% of my monthly income and the interest rates are pretty low. I will probably tackle the loan full time once i feel like it becomes an emotional burden but right now I am thinking that I am still relatively young (28) and it seems to be a good idea to try to make the money I earn work for me better than the sub 2% interest rate which i am being drained off yearly and i believe i can do it.

What would you do in a similar situation? Would you pay off your mortgage in a few years if you had the chance or try to make the extra money work for you in other ways knowing the risks? Or maybe you are/have been here before in which case I am curious to hear about your experiences and journey.

Some views on this topic from a few people i have seen discussing the topic:


Pro-mortgage-repayment (Dave Ramsey): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O0MrVKGcWo



No comments:

Post a Comment